Adventuring in Oxford and beyond 

11.19.2010

"So how are you staying busy?"

The title is a question I get all the time. It's a natural thing to ask, but I'm sometimes fumbling for an answer, mostly because my days are so different from one another! Usually I just give a brief response on what I did that day. I thought I might give y'all a day-by-day look at my planned weekly events.

Monday: From about 9 a.m. to noon I help with a crèche, or nursery, at St. Andrews Church. Anywhere from 10-20 kids ranging in age from 7 months to 4 years come while their mums head to a Bible study around the corner. (Don't worry- I have the help of about 6 way more experienced people!) The kids are adorable, though I sometimes struggle to understand their mix of baby talk and a British accent. 

Tuesday: At about 12:50 I start walking to the Oxford Club for a drawing class that begins at 1:15. I found out about this through the Oxford University Newcomers Club (OUNC- more on that in a second) and thought it might be fun to take a stab at drawing since I haven't done it in several years. We're using pencils this semester and learning basic concepts like shading and drawing proportions. It's been fun to draw again but I still need a lot of help! 
Our assignment from week 2: an apple. I hope I didn't have to tell you that though.
Wednesday: The OUNC hosts a "Coffee Morning" from 10:30-12 for anyone who is a spouse or partner of a visiting student or professor. The group began in 1961 by women in the community wishing to help newly arrived internationals meet other people in Oxford and is run completely by volunteers. These ladies are not only very kind to take time out of their weeks to help others feel "at home" in a new country, but are also really entertaining while they do it. 
After the Coffee Morning I usually head over to Gloucester Green (pronounced "gloster") for the weekly farmers market featuring fresh fruit and veg at great prices. Probably my favorite reason for going is simply to experience the vendors yelling, "BA-NA-NERS" and "FRESH MAYNGOES- TWO FOR ONE FEFTY". 

Thursday: At 12:30 I meet Brandon at Wycliffe Hall for a quick lunch before heading to a Bible study for wives at 1:15. Almost all the women in there have kids and are a little older than me, but it's good to be around them and learn from them. Even though the study through 2 Corinthians has been good, I think hearing their prayer requests each week is what helps me so much. You hear requests for their babies to sleep through the night, and for patience when their toddler throws temper tantrums. But you also see the joy on their children's faces (and their own) when they pick their child up from the crèche afterward. 
Friday: On Friday evenings Brandon has a ministry assignment with a nearby school, but usually Brandon has a more open schedule on Fridays and we can spend some of the day together. 

Interspersed with that is reading; photographing places or editing pictures; trying my hand at calligraphy; grocery shopping; running through the University Parks or at Port Meadow; drawing; occasional babysitting; studying the Bible; cooking (for us or to share); having lunch or tea with friends; hosting or being hosted for dinners; doing laundry; spending too much time on facebook; reading blogs and blogging*; skyping our friends and families; and solving all the world's problems with Brandon. (Ok, so maybe last one is a bit of a stretch). 

And then there are the unplanned moments spent hanging out in the kitchen with all of our housemates, which is always really fun. 
How could it not be fun with these guys?
There you have it- my ever-changing (but never dull) week.

*Can I just give a sweeping "THANKS!" for all the feedback you guys give on the blog?? It is so encouraging to hear from you! I love the comments and feedback. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the little synopsis.I've been thinking bout y'all and how its been going. Iactually don't get to often of a chance to browse on the internet just or fun. I have to say Alabama is still Alabama...same ole' same ole'....except one key difference...the Crimson Tide is loosing and Auburn is actually winning!! Ok that was hard for me to admit too- but I'll do it for you. No really-I hope all is still going well and prayng for ya. BTW-yes we knew it was an apple...you don't give yourself enough credit-

    godspeed and love,
    jessica farley

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh but a more pronounced stem would have been made it a little clearer...and ignore the spelling errors-typing so much for school make me so laxadasickle (spelling again???) about it in real life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing about your week. Sounds super fun and busy!
    We miss you guys and love you! We'll have to skype soon!

    PS- I love the drawing- is it a pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this blog! I love you, Claire, but I'm with Meg, I thought it was a pumpkin, too (until I read the caption) but I thought it was a GOOD pumpkin, if it's any encouragement! I love keeping up with you guys. Lets skype soon. Facebook me and lets set up a time so you can meet Leah! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I feel really dumb because you said you were drawing again and I had no idea you ever did. Maybe we should catch up sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, thanks so much for the encouraging word. I have to say, my heart isn't broken because Alabama hasn't had a great season, but more than that I'm glad Auburn's had a good one! I hope- other than that- that life is good for you!
    Meg and Randi- I laughed so hard after seeing the "pumpkin" comments. I didn't draw a stem because there wasn't one on my apple! But yes, I'll give it to you that it does kind of look like a pumpkin :) Love you both!
    Auburn- when I said "again" I meant, since Judy Philen's art class- when I was probably 8. I don't know if that really counts at all!

    ReplyDelete