Adventuring in Oxford and beyond 

1.26.2011

Second Cow College?

It'll be no surprise to you that we're excited Auburn University won the National Championship this year. (Brandon got up in the middle of the night to watch the game, and, at 5 a.m., woke me up to watch the very end.)

I was also really glad to see most of the name-calling come to an end. Facebook status updates featured people's thoughts about "$Cam Newton", but also oldies and goodies concerning the "cow college" -- a term associated with Auburn University since there are fields nearby with grazing cattle.  I have always wondered why people choose to use the term "cow college" as a put-down for Auburn.  I guess some associate local agriculture/farming with unintelligence? (Even though our friends the Sanders make it look easy to run a farm, there's no question it takes not only manpower but brain power.)

Well, I was in a local bookstore the other day checking out postcards when I  came across one of Christ Church, a particularly well-known college here at Oxford.  Upon further inspection I noticed something in front of the beautiful spires of the college...



We're continually proud of our association with cow colleges.

No comments:

Post a Comment